Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Women Gotta Do It All: But How?


One of my favorite comedy teams is George Burns and Gracie Allen.   If you are too young to know who they are, they were a famous couple who had a TV show in the 1950’s.  The show was set around their life and was a combination of a sitcom and reality show.  In one episode, Gracie was in the kitchen ironing.  Her best friend and neighbor was there and they were talking.  Gracie says, “It is harder for women to be successful because they don’t have a wife to help them.”  I thought to myself, “That is it! That’s why it’s so much harder for me!”  I have often told my business partner/son that I have less time than him because he has a wife. 

As women we are naturally able to do more because we have the ability to multi-task.  But, just think what you could do if you had someone to help you do all the things you have to do in a day?  Besides running a business or maintaining a job, we are in charge of meals, cleaning, laundry, children, homework, taxi service, remembering birthdays and holidays, just to name a few.  I get tired just thinking about it.  So, how do we do it all?  I would like to offer a suggestion and then I would love to have you share your ideas and thoughts.  Together we can help each other be successful and “do it all.”

My suggestion is to delegate.  We all have people in our lives that we can ask to do certain things.  It might be a husband and or children.  It might be a parent or sibling.  It might be a good friend.  Except for maybe teenage children, most people are willing even happy to help.  After all, as the saying goes, “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” 

When delegating, it is important to be specific. Instead of asking your husband if he could help more, ask him to do something such as being in charge of making sure the children’s homework gets done.  You might assign each family member a day of the week to be in charge of making dinner.  If your family is old enough they could be in charge of their own laundry.  The more specific you are the more likely you will be to get the things done you desire. 

So what do you do to get help around the house? I look forward to reading your suggestions and comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment